Friday, August 5, 2011

How we change

A long while back,
I'd look into the mirror,
And find a familiar face,
Staring back intently.
We'd have our conversations,
This face and me,
We shared dreams and hopes,
We shared smiles and tears.

But as time passed,
As so happens with friends dear,
We fell apart,
And steadily grew the distance between us...

The other day, I was looking at the mirror,
And hark, what do I see,
The face was back,
And was staring at me.

Overjoyed at finding my long lost friend,
I hugged him close,
"Where were you all this while", I asked,
"Why did you disappear in the past?"

A smile fluttered across his lips,
"I was right here", he said,
"Watching over you,
Looking at you change.
It was you who'd lost sight of me,
Yet, now that you need me,
Here I am, right be your side,
I will, forever, with you abide."
 
His biting words stung me,
For they carried with them the bitter truth,
I'd come a long way in the recent past,
But here was I friendship that I sure wanted to last.

Over time, oh, how we change,
But it will serve us all, to not, the real us estrange.

3 comments:

Nidhi said...

Nice insight into one self and to remember things we have lost/forgotten in the dynamic life.

anshulskywalker said...

So true and so beautifully put! Hope i never make that mistake... you're the best friend i got. don't forget me :-)

Sonia Sahijwani Saini said...

hey mukul..really nicely written.. dont know what is ur inspiration...